WMUR: "New effort hopes to elminate highway fatalities"
Organizers say the goal of the Drive Toward Zero project is very challenging.
The effort announced Thursday is designed to eliminate highway fatalities in New Hampshire.
Several state agencies and members of the private sector joined together in chasing that goal.
Officials say they will continue to focus on traditional safety measures, like cracking down on drunk and impaired drivers, while also aggressively targeting distracted drivers and speeders. State police also say they will be working with the Department of Transportation on a more statistically based effort to make the roads safer.
"We're studying these crashes. We're looking at a data driven approach to where accidents happen and why and what se can do to prevent it," New Hampshire State Police Colonel Robert Quinn said.
"It may be working with the Department of Transportation on a road design or an intersection," Colonel Quinn added.
The most deadly year on New Hampshire's highways was 1971 when there were 214 fatalities.
Last year, there were only 90 deaths, the lowest number in 50 years.
So far in 2012, state officials say there have been only 40 fatalities.
State officials hope the public shares their commitment to zero fatalities.
"80-percent of highway fatalities last year, 80-percent that were killed were not wearing seat belts," said John Barthelmes, Commissioner of Safety.
"That an area right there where the public can help us," Barthelmes said.
For more information click here